• Date: June 28, 2026Second race of the 2025 series, winter stage. This year I decided not to do the full circuit like I did in 2024, so the mandala will remain incomplete once again—but the experience was totally worth it!
• Location: Vicente López, Buenos Aires
• Distance: 5 km
• Official time (chip): 27:15
• Position: 246 / 1,856 (Top 14% of category)
There was a massive turnout: over 1,800 runners in the 5K and almost 3,500 in the 10K distance. As for the weather, the temperature hovered around 11 °C (52 °F)—much friendlier than last year's 5 °C (41 °F). I wore shorts, a thermal long-sleeve, and a beanie. I was this close to taking off the thermal top to run in short sleeves, but the proximity to the river and the forecast (which threatened an 89% chance of rain) made me hesitate. Luckily, the weather spared us: the clouds cleared, not a single drop fell, and we even had some sunshine during the start.
In 2024, the chip had played a trick on me with a difference of several minutes compared to my running apps, but this time it was spot on: it clocked 27:15, matching my watch exactly. It was, perhaps, my fourth or fifth fastest 5K race to date.
On-Track Strategy
As I almost always do, I lined up near the back of the starting corral to take off smoothly. The first kilometer was dominated by the crowd and runner traffic, so I took it easy. However, as space opened up, I began passing people smoothly and consistently until I worked my way into the Top 14% of the overall classification.
📊 Pace Analysis and Effort Distribution (Pacing)
The kilometer breakdown shows a very clear strategy of conscious conservation at the start and progressive acceleration:
• Km 1 (05'54"): Progressive warm-up. Comfortable and controlled pace to settle into race mode.
• Km 2 (05'10"): The fastest kilometer. A sharp gear shift to lock into an agile pace after breaking free from traffic.
• Km 3 (05'16"): Consolidation of the fast cruising pace.
• Km 4 (05'26"): Readjustment toward the overall average, maintaining stable effort.
• Km 5 (05'23" / actual 05'25" pace over 1.01 km): Solid finish, keeping the speed below the overall average without showing destructive fatigue.
• Final stretch (120 m - 06'05"): Easing off and cool-down after crossing the finish line.
🏃♂️ Running Mechanics and Biomechanics
• Stride length: With 4,599 steps over 5,120 meters, the average stride length was 1.11 meters.
• Average cadence (169 spm): Very close to the optimal biomechanical range (170–180 spm). Maintaining a high cadence at this pace helps reduce ground contact time and minimizes joint impact (overstriding).
• Peak cadence (210 spm): Corresponds to a specific sprint or sharp surge in pace, where I recorded my peak speed of 03'55"/km.
🌤️ Terrain Profile and Weather Conditions
• Altimetry: Practically flat course (elevation between -1 m and 9 m above sea level). The oscillations on the chart (113 m total gain) are due to GPS inaccuracies and the minor ramps on the coastal bridges.
• Environmental conditions: 11.0 °C, 75% humidity, and SSW winds at 8 km/h. An ideal thermal context that favored core body temperature control and glycolytic efficiency.
Conclusion
A cleanly executed 5K session: a prudent start to navigate the crowd, a decisive gear shift in the second kilometer, and a steady, sustained effort around 05'20"–05'25"/km with an extremely efficient cadence.
Race on Wikiloc: https://es.wikiloc.com/rutas-carrera/seasons-circuit-race-winter-edition-5k-vicente-lopez-buenos-aires-06-28-2026-277052427

No hay comentarios.:
Publicar un comentario