martes, 3 de febrero de 2015

Walking along Juan B. Justo Ave.

Current photo of Roque Saenz Peña square taken from Google Street View.

On a very hot Sunday afternoon in late December 2008, I walked a few blocks through a small section of Juan B. Justo Ave. in the Autonomous City of Buenos Aires. Now that the word "calor" [heat] came up, is it feminine or masculine? Which gender? I already resolved my doubt on this webpage castellanoactual.com/duda-resuelta-la-calor-o-el-calor/ and it says: 

“The noun 'calor' is ambiguous, hence your doubt. Ambiguous nouns are those that can take either the masculine or feminine article without any change in the lexeme: el sartén / la sartén, el azúcar / la azúcar, el maratón / la maratón, el interrogante / la interrogante, etc. In reality, they are invariable since the different gender carries no change in meaning. Therefore, you can say el calor or la calor, both options being correct.”

I came across Dr. Roque Saenz Peña Square, whose existence I wasn't even aware of. The image is current as of 2014, taken from Google Maps Street View. I saw that it has a water fountain in the center where many kids were playing with the water. There is also a handicraft fair with quite a few stalls. I keep walking, and right as I reach one of its corners, I see a monument that I stop to observe, and it turned out to be a tribute to the guitarist Pappo (Norberto Napolitano), who passed away in 2005. 

The author of the work is the visual artist Virginia Caramel. The title of the piece is "Ausencia y Presencia" [Absence and Presence]. It is made of metal, composed of two parallel 15 mm thick carbon steel plates, and weighs around 1,250 kilograms, as indicated on the following website: www.barriada.com.ar/VillaGralMitre/PlazaDrRoqueSaenzPena.htm
I remembered that a while ago I had seen on TV that his remains had been taken to a plaza, but I never knew which one, and now there I was, right where they later built that monument for him.

I took a couple of photos of it, kept walking, and found a glass shop that had some nice mirrored glass craftwork—a guitar, an elephant, and other pieces. I also took a photo through the glass window. 

The walk continues and I spot a Citroën parked on a corner, which looked disused due to its semi-abandoned state. It was definitely quite old, almost impossible to see one driving around anymore, so I also took a couple of photos of it out of curiosity.

The photo is of the old Citroën. I don't know much about cars, let alone the model, but since they are no longer on the road due to disuse, seeing one caught my attention, so I photographed it, even though it looks completely parked and out of service.
Shortly after, someone who signed as Leo made the following contribution, which I quote verbatim: “Nice Citroën, that one. I already forgot the name or model; years ago I had seen it at an old and semi-old car exhibition. You reminded me with that photo... I looked up what model that car is; it's a CX. I'll leave you some links: (it's in the second one) www.citroen-mania.com.ar/modelos.htm www.citroen-mania.com.ar/modeloscitroen1970-1979.htm” And indeed, he was right with his contribution. It turned out to be that car, and it seems it was an important vehicle for the brand at the time given the awards it had won: "The CX accumulates awards: 'Car of the Year,' 'Safety Award,' and 'Award Style Auto.'"

(Originally published on 12-07-2008)

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario